Beck- Odelay Album Review

Go down

Beck- Odelay Album Review

Post by sl1ck on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:17 pm

Beck has remained relevant and influential throughout his long, illustrious career. He has crossed, combined, and invented genres along the way. Many times his work combines various genres even within single songs. Odelay is probably the most notable example of Beck's ability to interchange genres. Take "Novocaine" for instance- it opens up with a laid-back sliding guitar riff and a few seconds later explodes into a loud, intense rap beat. Beck raps over the beat for a few minutes and then the song eases into a hard rock riff and Beck's vocals change up yet again. That's certainly not the last change of sound the song makes- it quickly switches back to the laid-back intro guitar riff and into a section of Sonic Youth-like noise. The song closes with a crazy mixture of noise, electronic sounds, and random samples. "Novocaine" is a microcosm of the genre blending present in Odelay, that ultimately aids the playback ability of the album.

Beck offers his usual paradoxical, abstract, lyricism for the majority of the album. In many ways, Beck’s songwriting on Odelay resembles Highway 61 Revisited-Era Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan would never be anomalous enough to write a song like “Devil’s Haircut,” but the similarity between the lyrics of Highway 61 Revisited and Odelay are undeniable.

This album captures the essence of Beck as a whole. His songwriting, instrumentation, use of samples, and creativity are all on point with Odelay. If anyone ever asks me about which album of Beck’s to listen to first, I instantly refer them to this one.

Overall Rating- 4 Stars: Excellent
sl1ck
sl1ck

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://rateyourmusic.com/~kcarpenter

Back to top Go down

Re: Beck- Odelay Album Review

Post by Sgt. Pepper on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Great Review, very well done. I'm going to go check out the album right now.
Sgt. Pepper
Sgt. Pepper

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down